The evidence is strong in sex research that how our bodies respond to sex depends on how much attention we are able to pay to sex, and the types of thoughts which run through our minds. This course is for anyone who want to be more in the moment and less in their head during sex, and who wants to learn how to have more pleasure, orgasms, desire or better sexual function as a result.
- What you'll get from this workshop (1:16)
- Your brain and your sex life- what's the link? (2:45)
- How do our brains get in the way of good sex? (3:20)
- TASK: where's your brain at?
- Gendered differences in being tuned in (3:14)
- TASK: Tuning into your body (Part 1)
- Why the content of our thoughts matters (5:19)
- Tackling negative thoughts at their roots (5:55)
- TASK: Tackling our negative thoughts about sex - worksheet
- Developing our skills in moving our attention where we want it to be (6:06)
- TASK: getting practised at moving your attention in daily life
- TASK: Tuning into your body (Part 2)
- TASK: Using your new skills with a sexual partner
- How to develop your own plan to build the skills you need (3:39)
- TASK: mapping your plan moving forward from here
Meet the workshop facilitator
Dr Karen Gurney is a highly specialised clinical psychologist and a European Society of Sexual Medicine certified psychosexologist.
She is a recognised national expert in the theory and practice of therapy around all aspects of sexual wellbeing and function and wrote and pioneered one of the first online interventions translating principles of sex therapy into online modules 10 years ago.
She is currently Lead Psychosexual Therapist for a Central London NHS Trust, as well as Director of The Havelock Clinic, an independent sexual problems service based on Harley Street and in The City of London and has almost 20 years experience of delivering sex therapy.
Dr Gurney has written for and been featured in publications such as Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan and Refinery29, provided expert opinion on TV including the BBC and in 2020 will be doing a TEDx talk on sex.
Dr Gurney's book, 'Mind The Gap: the truth about desire and how to futureproof your sex life' is on sale now.